Friday, July 16, 2010

Looking Back - Similarities between High School & College

As College Graduation approaches, I have been looking back into the last few weeks before my high school graduation.

I found two poems... I found it interesting how similar feelings I had towards the end of my high school experience I am having now as college comes to a close.

The first poem is about celebrating yourself. The second refers to fears for the future. 
I hope you enjoy them!

I celebrate myself, and sing myself - 2007

I celebrate myself, and sing myself
I celebrate that teal describes who I am
Green and blue, but your never really sure which one
I like eating chips and salsa because it shows the spice in my life
But the smooth, cool ice cream also shows that I can still just chill
I take on challenges
And understand consequences
I try my hardest, even if I don’t succeed
I enjoy life and friends and memories
Busy describes my life
And full and complete describes my love
Times can be hard, but my friends are there
Even though it feels sometimes they just don’t care
I know the difference between those friends who are true and not
I enjoy a good laugh, but more so, a shoulder to understand
Pain is hard, but you can get thought it
And your attitude has a lot to do it
Parties are fun with lots of people
But sometimes small groups are exciting and more personal
I am friendly and caring
I enjoy meeting new people
And this is just the beginning


When I have fears that I may cease to be
(a) When I have fears that I may cease to be
(b) Before my sleepily eyes I do rest,
(a) For the stage lights will then never know me,
(b) For they would surely have not seen my best,
(c) The types of people I may never see,
(d) My family, my friends, my love somewhere,
(c) The waves of love roaring across the sea,
(d) Nor the glow of a gown of white to wear,
(e) And when I leave this earth to fly abroad,
(f) Legacies only I can leave behind,
(e) People think of me with a pleasant thought,
(f) Before the end, coming soon, of my time,
(g) One life ends to begin a life anew,
(g) My joyful look says simply I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment